Kenya Smoked fish Recipe is a speciality among the Luo, Luhya and some communities at the coast province. It is known as kerewe in Luo and tsikereba among the luhya.
In Kenya most of the fish is sold in open air markets where there are no refrigerators to preserve it. Smoked fish stays longer in the market given that, smoking preserves the fish.
When cooked it has a distinct taste that sometimes makes it preferable to fresh fish from the lake.
You can buy smoked fish at "Gikomba market", the largest open air market in Nairobi.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE SMOKED FISH DISHES
1.Two smoked Fish
3.One big onion- washed and chopped
4.Three ripe tomatoes- washed and chopped
5.Two cups coconut or fresh milk
6.Juice from half lemon
7.One teaspoon curry powder
8.One bunch dhania(Coriander) - chopped
9.Salt to taste
HOW TO PREPARE KENYA SMOKED FISH RECIPE
1. Wash the fish.One way is to wash thoroughly then soak in cold water for one hour. Alternatively you can boil water then add fish into it and wash thoroughly.Smoked fish bought in Kenya must be washed thoroughly because of the dust it acquires in the open air market.
2. Put water in a pan, add salt and bring to boil. Gently slide the fish in to the pan and let it boil for half an hour.3. In another saucepan, put the oil and fry the onions until they are light brown.
4. Add the tomatoes, cover and let them cook for two minutes
5. Add curry powder and stir. Cook for a minute.
6. Pour in the fresh or coconut milk and let it boil before putting the fish. Cook on low fire for 20 minutes.
7.Add the lemon juice and the chopped dhania(Coriander), simmer for three minutes or until it is ready to serve.
SMOKED FISH RECIPE SERVING TIPS
Smoked fish stew goes well with ugali, matoke mashed potatoes or chapati.
Other Related Pages