Kenya Muthokoi Recipe is a dish made from maize without husks. This is a specialty of the Kamba community. In fact, its origins can be traced to eastern province where the Kamba hail from. Green peas are added to the maize. Other type of beans can be used as an alternative. De-husked maize is available in grocery stores.
WHAT YOU NEED to make Kenya Muthokoi Recipe
* One kilo of shelled dry maize. They must be de-husked.
* Five cups of fresh green cowpeas. Other types of beans can be used if cowpeas are unavailable.
HOW TO COOK Kenya Muthokoi Recipe
1. Mix the muthokoi with the cowpeas in a sufuria (heavy bottomed sauce pan).
2. Add water to the level of the muthokoi and cowpeas.
3. Put it on fire and let it boil for two hours or until tender.
4. Add salt to taste. Drain the extra liquid and serve while still hot.
Good on its own even as a snack or packed lunch in the office or for picnics. You can add vegetables like cabbage or sukuma wiki(kales)