Rwanda Tourism Sector business opportunities are still very high. Rwanda has unique natural assets Virunga National Park: natural habitat for 600 of the 800 rare mountain gorillas made famous by the work of Diane Fossey .
Park includes a mountain lodge in the ‘Condé Nast Hot List’ The rain forests of Nyungwe National Park: home to rare chimpanzees, birds among others.
Tourism Sector Business Opportunities in Rwanda
Lake Kivu:surrounded by stunning beaches and dormant volcanoes covered by lush vegetation. A 4 star Serena resort is one of several hotels
• Akagera National Park: offers the potential to be one of East Africa’s great safari destinations
• Birding tourism:Rwanda has over 1/3 of Africa’s bird species, the highest concentration in Africa with 260 species in Nyungwe forest alone
Visitor numbers have been booming
• In 2007, leisure tourists spent $209M, making the tourism industry the country’s largest foreign exchange earner
• In 2008, leisure visitors increased 50% 26% increase in business/conference visitors – a priority area of significant potential
• There are 187 hotels and 4102 hotel rooms in Rwanda of which only 7 are upper range
• The average room occupancy rate for upper range hotels was 70% in 2008 with foreign tourists accounting for 97% of bed nights sold