If you want to invest in Rwanda Energy Sector, you better hurry up.
There are many chances of getting the most profitable venture in energy sector of Rwanda.
Overview of Energy Sector Opportunities
• 80% of energy from wood combustion and electricity coverage levels low at 6%
• Power grid coverage is planned to expand to 67% of the region by 2012 through a $311M capital budget roll-out plan
• Transmission and distribution networks to expand from 3,300km to 5,000km by 2012
• Targeting 90% electricity from renewable source
• 5200 ha of forests for carbon credit potential
• Example: recent agreement with US/ UK based company funded by leading UK PE firm to produce biodiesel by planting 10,000 ha of Jatropha plants ($35M investment in 2 years) to address 15-20% of domestic diesel demand
• 60-69MW of electricity generation (50% hydro-electric, 50% diesel) today
• Recognising the strategic importance of the sector, the GoR has ambitious plans to more than double generation capacity to 130MW through methane gas, hydro (macro and micro) and 1 heavy fuel oil plant
• For instance, in micro-hydro, 333 potential sites identified
(50KW-1MW) by 2008, 2 constructed, 21 under construction and 10 scheduled
• 50-55 billion m3 of methane gas in Lake Kivu:
1st Gas Concession and Power Purchase Agreement signed with Contour Global – 100MW KivuWatt power plant under construction expected to produce 4MW/hour for $324M
Further opportunities such as a 2nd concession at Lake Kivu and conversion of gas to liquid and gas to fertilizer