Mc-Ellys hotel is exactly what a budget traveller needs from one or two nights stay before or after a safari!
The hotel was cheap, clean, in the middle of everything, and I really enjoyed the breakfast - a good selection including my favorite - baked beans with toast and butter.
There was also a cooked yam dish that I really enjoyed. Coffee was instant, but good enough - I could make my own which means I could make it strong enough. Fresh fruit and meat options were also available.
I heard the call to prayer in the morning but I really enjoy that so that doesn't bother me.
Our room had a balcony facing the street and a bus station so it was fun watching the city wake up in the morning.
The decor is basic - certainly not for a honeymoon or special occasion, but not too run down either. Bathroom was adequate. Free bottled water.
- Reception promptly responded to my price and room availability request (I think it was the quickiest response ever, maybe in one hour) !!!
- Price was OK, I think it was aound 60 USD per room per night
- They did not want us to pay any money in advance !!!
- All in all this was one of the most comfortable reservations I ever made !!!
- Rooms are quite small, but very clean, equipped with A/C, LCD TV, with comfortable beds with mosquito nets. Room was quiet during the night, no noise at all was coming from outside the street, although the hotel is centrally located.
- Hotel itself looks new and well mantained
- Breakfast was fine, a buffet style
- I really appreciated that the hotel manager showed up, intruduced himself and was helpful. At hotels of this size, this in not usual, and we really appreciated his interest.