Welcome to Hotel Ubumwe in Gisenyi Town Rwanda. It is hard to find a hotel that gives you value for your money in Rwanda.
It is not a very touristy country (except for the
gorillas) but there are quite a few hotels charging quite high rates (it is
said to be due to the many NGOs present in Rwanda).
Hotel Ubumwe gave us a double room for $50US per night if we stayed for 3 nights; which included breakfast for two people. The positives included:
* Best value hotel in Gisenyi that we saw
* Delicious decent sized breakfast (tea or coffee with milk & sugar on the side; choice of egg including very good omelettes; toast with jam & margarine; mixed fruit plate...)
* Most rooms have some sort of view onto the lake, and you can always go and sit up in the restaurant to look out and have a drink
* There is wifi (we could only get it from the restaurant though)
* DSTV is provided - but they only have one TV hooked up (in the restaurant) so if you want to watch something in particular, you have to ask for that channel! (they are very happy to accommodate though and will ask you for your preferences)
* There is a great shower and comfortable beds with mosquito nets
* The service is fantastic - Eric was so welcoming and attentive, called up Kampala Coach for us and arranged for the hotel manager to drop us at the bus station on the morning of our departure
Small things to note
* You are about 200m from the DRC border - obviously keep an eye on the news and the security situation - if things become unstable, particularly close to Goma, I would not travel to Gisenyi at all