Here are the details about Africa International University Kenya formerly Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology , Courses offered at Africa International University, Fee Structure at this University, Hostels and Accommodation at Africa International University College and all you need to know about this university in Kenya.
Welcome to Africa International University. AIU is a Christian chartered University in Kenya and is the successor of Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology, NEGST.
AIU has three schools namely, NEGST, ISAR and SPS.AIU is located on a 54 acre campus along Karen - Dagoretti Road, Kenya
The following Academic Programmes are available at AIU:
1. PhD in (either of the following)
• Biblical Studies (4 years)
• Intercultural Studies (4 years)
• Doctor of Ministry (3 years)
• Translation Studies (4 years)
The PhD Progammes require a recognized MA/MDiv in the relevant area with a minimum GPA of
2. Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Master of Theology (MTh) programmes:
• Master of Philosophy in Christian Education (2 years)
• Master of Theology in World Christianity (2 years)
• Master of Theology in Missions (2 years)
• Master of Theology in Biblical Studies (2 years)
NB: The MPhil & MTh Progammes take 2 yrs and require a recognized MA/MDiv in the relevant area with a minimum GPA of 3.3
3. Master of Divinity (MDiv) in (choose one department specialization) - 3 years
• Biblical Studies
• Christian Education
• Missions Studies
• Theology - Church History
• Pastoral Studies
• Translation Studies
• General Studies
4. Master of Arts (MA) in (choose one department specialization)
• Biblical Studies
• Biblical Translation
• Christian Education
• Church History
• Missions Studies
• Missions (Islamic Studies Emphasis)
• Organizational Leadership
• Pastoral Studies
NB: The MDiv has 111 credit hours and takes 3 years as a full-time programme while MA has 72 credit hours and takes 2 years full-time and 3 years part-time (Extension studies).
To qualify for both MDiv and MA degrees one requires a recognized bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or 2nd class upper division.
Applicants with 2nd Lower or at least 2.75 also need in addition at least 2 years relevant work/ministry experience after graduation and five years leadership experience for MA Organizational Leadership.
With a postgraduate diploma of 3.0 GPA, applicants with less than 3.0 GPA in their bachelors also qualify.
5. Postgraduate Diploma in Theology (1 year)
This is one year programme offered to applicants with recognized bachelor’s degrees with at least 2.0 GPA or Pass.
It’s also open to graduates that only need a year’s programme in Theology. Undergraduate Programmes:
6. Bachelor’s degrees
• Bachelor of Theology (BTH) - 4 years or 2 years for Theology Diploma holders -
• BA in Psychology & Counseling - 4 years
• BA in Business Administration - 4 years or 2 with credit transfer from relevant diploma Applicants need a C+ (plus) or equivalent in form four or a recognized Diploma of at least 2 years.
7. Diploma in Christian Ministries - 2 years
Requires a grade of C (plain) or C – (minus) in form four or less with at least a year’s certificate
8. Certificate in Christian Ministries - 1 year
Requires a form 4 certificate
Please contact Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)- http://www.helb.co.ke/
For Diploma Programmes,
KCSE with a grade of C or C-, or D+ A certificate from a recognized university.
For Degree Programmes,
Minimum KCSE C+ or Div 2 or ;
Diploma From a recognized Institution.
Masters of Arts in Organizational Leadership.
Recognized Bachelors degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0;
5 years post Bachelors Leadership Experience.
Master of Arts/Master of Divinity.
Recognized Bachelors Degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or second class upper division, or GPA of 2.75-2.99 or second class lower division accompanied by the minimum of two years working/ministry experience.
Master of Philosophy in C.E and a Master of Theology in B.S
Recognized Masters of Arts or Divinity degree with GPA of 3.3 or equivalent.
Master of Theology in Missions and World Christianity.
Recognized MA/MDIV with GPA of 3.0.
PhD in Biblical Studies and translation studies.
Recognized Masters Degree in Biblical or translation studies with GPA of 3.3 (biblical studies) or 3.0 (translation studies).
PhD in Intercultural studies (World Christianity, Missions Studies or Islamic Studies concentration)
Recognized Masters Degree in relevant discipline with a minimum GPA of 3.3
1. Applicants whose medium of instruction at their undergraduate level of schooling was not English are required to provide evidence of adequate mastery of written and spoken English.
This may be done by taking Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 in the paper-based examination or of 173 in the computer-based examination; or taking Council of English Language Examination (IELTS) with a minimum score of 5; or presentation of credential from a recognised institution attesting adequate levels of English.
2. Pay a non-refundable application fee.
3. Submit a recent full-face passport-size photograph.
Application Procedures for Admission to the University
1. The applicant shall complete the application form and submit full documentation of all academic qualifications, including official transcripts from each college or university attended.
The official transcript must have been issued by the respective college or university and must be submitted in an unopened envelope that was sealed by the issuing college or university.
Transcripts and certificates written in a language other than English must be submitted with a certified translation into English.
2. Qualified applicants shall receive a letter of acceptance from Admissions Office before enrollment at the University.
3. All new students shall go through the process of verification of their original certificates, diplomas and degrees obtained prior to coming to the University.
Transfer of Credits from another Institution
1. An applicant from an accredited institution of higher learning wishing to transfer credits from an uncompleted programme may request advanced placement when he or she apply for admission.
The applicant shall present an official copy of his or her transcript and receive a complete assessment of his or her programme requirements prior to admission to the University.
2. Equivalent course credits with a minimum grade of B- earned at other recognized institutions shall be accepted at full value to the extent that the courses are comparable to the University requirements.
3 . The transferred credits shall not be more than 33 credit hours for the Master of Arts programmes.
4. Although transfer credits are included in the total credits acquired, they shall not be computed into the student’s cumulative GPA.
5. No credit shall be given from undergraduate courses towards postgraduate level courses.
A student wishing to be exempted from any course shall follow the procedure set out below:
The student shall complete the Course Validation Request Form and submit it to the Head of Department, justifying his/her request and attaching evidence of the credentials such as course syllabi, which would support such a request.
The Head of Department in consultation with the Academic Dean shall consider the request.
The validation shall occur after the Head of Department and the Academic Dean have approved the request.
At the discretion of the Head of Department, the student may be required to take the validation examination set by the department and administered by the Office of the Academic Registrar. In any such examination the pass mark shall be a grade of “B” or better.
Non-letter graded courses, transfer courses, and work that received grades below “B” cannot be validated.
Validation of a course does not reduce the student’s total credits requirement, but allows the student to substitute hours in the same department.
The actual validated course shall be replaced on AIU transcript by an equivalent level course.
The student shall be charged a course validation fee for initiating the validation process.
Karen (Main) Campus - Karen-Dagoretti Road, Nairobi NairobiTown Campus -ACK Language &Orientation School, Bishops road-Community (opposite NSSF building)
Eldoret - Elgon View Estate, Ramogi Drive next to Red Cross.Kisumu Town Campus Modes of study: Fulltime, Evening & School-based (holiday).